February 19, 2021
Clarinet Concerto details
Here is the text of the email that Jerry Junkin sent to the CBDNA email list-serve about joining the consortium for my new clarinet concerto. If you are interested in joining this consortium after reading this, please contact Claire Long who will be handling all of the administrative work. (If you have a question about anything else, you can email me.)
I write to tell you about an exciting consortium commissioning opportunity that I hope you will find to be of interest.
John Mackey has agreed to write an approximately twenty minute Clarinet Concerto for the renowned soloist, Julian Bliss. The buy-in will be $2,000 per organization with $1000 due by April 15, 2021, and the balance due by September 15, 2022. Vandoren and the USAF Band will be joining in the sponsorship.
CBDNA (Doug Stotter) will handle the accounting, as payments will be made to them and the point of contact will be Mr. Bliss’s manager, Claire Long (firstname.lastname@example.org). If you are interested in joining the consortium, please let Ms. Long know at the email above.
A few points:
– the concerto will be delivered late summer 2022, in anticipation of the world premiere with Julian Bliss and the Dallas Winds in Fall 2022
– the piece will be written for Julian Bliss, and schools are encouraged to have him as a guest to play the piece, but that is not a requirement of joining the consortium
– the buy-in for the piece is $2000/organization, with $1000 due by April 15, 2021, and the balance due by June 30, 2022
– consortium members will have 1 year of performance exclusivity from the time of the premiere
– once again, Claire Long (email@example.com) will be handling all of the administrative part, and all emails and questions should be directed to her.
Thank you for your consideration of what will undoubtedly be a very exciting collaboration!
Jerry Junkin, Head
Division of Conducting and Ensembles
Vincent R. DiNino Chair for the Director of Bands
University Distinguished Teaching Professor
The University of Texas at Austin
Artistic Director and Conductor, The Dallas Winds
Music Director and Conductor, Hong Kong Wind Philharmonia
Visiting Professor, Senzoku Gakuen College of Music